- Recap last week (emphasis on security)
- More on the WP Dashboard
- Install a theme
- Install two plugins
- Turn on Akismet (use your WP.com account info)
- Reminder of student/faculty responsibilities
- Assignments: points will be deducted for using “uncategorized” – for unimaginative headlines – for not using “more” tag on posts longer than 3 graphs. Retroactively. Please edit your stuff. (Demo how to find own posts)
- Categories: only ONE per post!
- Tags: not the kitchen sink – 3-4 max
- Points will now be deducted when turned in late (after midnight the day before class).
- Where are points? -> blogroll link
- Resources posts! (remember to use the “more” tag)
- Assignment: set up a Flickr account and find at least three accounts or groups to follow (how to follow?)
Angie : Brian : Charlie : Gaya : Hilary : Holly : Kathy : Kirsten : Maggie : Mark : Mary : Michelle : Sharon : Tammy : Toni
- Discussion: Hilary’s domain name
- Last week’s assignment about integrating a blog into your project site — add it to your project page, don’t just blog about it. 🙂 Send me an email with a link to your project page with the update (if you did not get credit last week).
Log into your WordPress.com account using Firefox or Chrome (no Internet Explorer, please). Open a second window (ctrl+N), and log into your project site WP dashboard. You should have two windows open that you can toggle between (alt+tab or cmd+tab-Mac)
In pairs, discuss – how do the two dashboards differ?
- Recap last week
- Where we left off…. admin accounts
- Discuss in pairs/threes: Why do we not want to keep the “admin” account with full administrative privileges?
- How to demote the “admin” account
- How to change email adresses on your accounts
- WP Dashboard review
- Screen options
- Posts -> categories, tags, delayed posting
- Media -> all of your uploads
- Links -> blogroll – history/why/it’s a widget
- Comments -> importance of moderating, noting spam, ping backs
- Appearance -> questions?
- Users -> questions?
- Next week:
Tools -> Install “import” tool Settings -> different home page (two step process) ; number of blog posts to show on home page; publicize
Working in pairs:
- After my demo, install a theme (download/upload or search)
- Install placeholder
- Offer: let me know if you want any premium theme – singular – from Woo)
- After my demo, install/activate plug-ins (download/upload or search)
- First, “activate” Akismet [You must enter your Akismet API key for it to work. Get your key – free for personal accounts, use your WP.com email]
- Essential: Install W3 Cache (performance enhancement)
- Essential: Install Better WP Security
- Essential: Install Jetpack (if not already installed and linked to WP.com)
- Optional: sharing, Sexy Bookmarks (my fav)
For next week:
- Read: Chapter 9 (creating content)
- We have a guest speaker next week; the following week, we primarily have work session. Your site outline is due Week 7 (Feb 20). Upload to Catalyst by 9.30 the 20th.